Thursday, February 7, 2013

D-Day has come and gone...Day 1 without Daddy.

It happened.

That day we were hoping would never come, did.



Deployment day.


Yesterday, Joseph boarded a long flight overseas. I cried, he cried, and Isla gave kisses. I drove home from the airport thinking, "Man, a year is soooo long. How am I going to take care of these babies, and work, and do it all.... by myself?" The thought of it was scaring the crap out of me. Until I got home.
I spent a few hours cleaning, organizing, and getting ready for the single parent life. I let Isla skip a nap and put her down at her old normal bedtime of 7 pm thinking maybe I could get her back on schedule easily. At 2 am, she was up. Screaming. I brought her into bed with me and then she woke up Cole. So here we are, all three of us up at 2 am. I know I was missing daddy and I'm sure Miss Isla was too. Cole is partial to me at nighttime, so I know where his allegiance lied. It took about 3 hours of drum playing, crying, and feeding for the 2 of them and myself to all be asleep, semi-peacefully in the same king-sized bed. I, of course, was in the middle squished and wondering how two such tiny people could make me feel so uncomfortable in such a large bed.
But I know we will get used to it, even if every night it ends up that the 3 of us are sleeping in that bed together. And before we know it, he will be home again. I'm prepared for it to be difficult some days. I'm prepared to break down once in a while, it's inevitable. But, we will make the best of it.
This morning, we all rolled out of bed around 8am. I got the kids ready for school. Their teachers were so happy to see them and when I picked up they said they really enjoyed music class. Miraculously, when we got home, I fed them both lunch and they both went down for a nap. Then we played, watched Tangled, and had dinner with family. I almost didn't cry.

Isla and Daddy


Spending some time with Daddy before we left.


Clapping


Big Hugs :(


Right after Daddy told Cole to take care of things while he's gone!

That was until I got my camera out and looked through these pictures. I know he was so upset in them, you can see it in his face. As much as I am going through, I know he is going through it ten times more. I can not imagine being away from our sweet babies so long. He has to be so strong.

If you think of it, say a little prayer for him tonight.

I got to skype with him a few times and it was nice to check-in and know he made it safely. He's getting settled and these first few weeks will be rough for him. I know it will go quickly though and before we know it, we'll have him home again!

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing mommy! You'll get through this no problem!! Happy to hear Joe made it safely.

    ReplyDelete